Home Dyserth St Bridget's Church Waterfall Talargoch Quarrying Mills Land and Landowners Chapels The Railway Merseyside Camp Rest Camp Curiosities Panoramas Castle Sam's Stores Rev John Roberts Henfryn Hall, Mia Hall Walks Acknowledgements Brochure Various Documents Organisations Statistics Heritage Trail Links Old Photo Gallery Blog - for updates Plane Crashes Belgian Refugees

Dyserth - Talargoch

Talargoch mines

Talargoch about 1900. Looking north-east from near the 80” Engine Shaft.

To the left is the 80-inch Engine House.
In the middle is the No.1 Engine House and its chimney,
with the roof of the mine office visible between them.
On the right are the mine stables and Talargoch Cottages.

Information (but not the photo) from Talargoch Mine by J.A. Thorburn

The Leats The Mines Clive Engine House Working Children 1841 A Widow's Tale 1841 A Miner's Story 1841 Newcomen Engine


First documentary evidence of mining in the area. Four German miners paid to search for copper ore (probably on Graig Fawr) but found only a small quantity of lead.


Apparently next record of mining. Mining rights of Carrog Ffaylon (now Graig Fawr) leased to Sir John Conway of Bodrhyddan Hall and Robert Davies for 7 years: “a work was sett up and payeth to the profitt of the miners many hundreds of pounds beside what Sir john gott”


New partnership William Salesbury, Maurice Wynn and Richard Newell until 1646 when the Civil War caused a stoppage of the works.




Legal disputes over boundaries. 1660 to 1680 several short-lived leases and disputes over inheritance.


Lands in Trecastell and Llewerllyd leased to Roger Whitley of Peel, Cheshire. He came to live at Dyserth Hall. Also reference to smelting mill at Desart which appears to have been in Meliden Parish, but only worked spasmodically.


Marriage of Elizabeth Whitley to the Earl of Plymouth.


Lease of Dyserth mines to a partnership of Staffordshire men who probably introduced the first steam powered pumping engine into the area, but the water problem seemed to be too great. The Governor & Company for smelting down lead with pittecoal and seacoale took the lease of the Talargoch site to rework the surface tips for calamine.


Paul Panton of Bagillt took lease of land between Dyserth and Talargoch for 21 years. At that time the mines all seemed to be in an abandoned state and great expense was incurred in reopening the mines. Panton had leat built in the mid 1750s to take water from Afon Ffyddion above Dyserth waterfalls along a course following the 200 feet contour line to the Talargoch site. This route of the leat caused much contention in later years. Panton acquired leases to land along the Talargoch vein.


Agreement between Panton and the partnership of Daniel Seaman and Thomas Smedley who held leases to the Bishop of St Asaph’s Talargoch property. 1769-1775 losses totalled some £3300 though output of ore slowly increasing. Losses continued.


Charles Howard of Hawarden commissioned to build an engine, whimsey and waterwheel at the Engine Shaft.


First dividend paid to partners.


Accident when the headgear and waterwheels fell into shaft of the Great Engine Shaft.


Cottages built for the miners at Meliden.


About 200 people employed at the mines.


School built for local children.


Engine started at the new shaft (Clive Shaft). Engine had 50 inch cylinder with 10 ft stroke and constructed at John Taylor’s Rhydymwyn foundry. The water for the engine was obtained via a new leat along the 300 feet contour from the Afon Ffyddion near Marion Mills. The leat was 16 ft wide at the top and 9 ft at the bottom.


350 men working at the Clive end of the workings, but only 34 at the Mostyn end owing to water problems.


Strike closed the mine for 4 months.


Talargoch Mining Company Ltd formed.


Search for ore to the south east fruitless.


New 100 inch cylinder engine installed at Clive Shaft.

Sinking of the Mostyn Shaft 1080 ft deep.


Talargoch mainly producing zinc ores rather than lead.


Talargoch Mining Company in liquidation.

New company floated - The Old Talargoch Mining Company Ltd but did not attract enough investors.


The Talargoch Mining Co Ltd formed. John Lean appointed as agent.


Mine auctioned as going concern. Bought by Messrs Hughes and Lancaster of Acrefair, Wrexham.


Underground working finished for good.

Strike to try and prevent removal of underground plant.

Break up sale.

1884 to 1905

Various small companies reworked spoil heaps.

A brief summary of the mines at Talargoch

I don’t know the original source of the above information.
I am grateful to the late Mr Harry Parker for the loan of the documents.