Home Dyserth St Bridget's Church Waterfall Talargoch Quarrying Mills Land and Landowners Chapels The Railway Merseyside Camp Rest Camp Curiosities Panoramas Castle Sam's Stores Rev John Roberts Henfryn Hall, Mia Hall Walks Acknowledgements Brochure Various Documents Organisations Statistics Heritage Trail Links Old Photo Gallery Blog - for updates Plane Crashes Belgian Refugees

Dyserth - Castle

Dyserth castle was commenced by Henry III around 1245 (some say 1241) and was built on a large scale; historians say that it had much in common with the castle that was later built at Conwy. However, the castle’s high position was also its weakness. Isolated from any navigable water its soldiers could not easily be relieved in times of attack. It was attacked in 1263 by Llywelyn ap Gruffydd (Llywelyn the Last) and destroyed after a six-week siege.

Some castle ruins were visible until they were quarried away during the First World War. Now almost nothing remains of Dyserth castle other than banks and ditch defences of the outer ward.

For more old photos of  the castle see the Old Photo Galleries

Ruins of Dyserth Castle from a postcard posted in 1911 Ruins of Dyserth Castle

Ruins of Dyserth Castle, from a postcard posted in 1911

Dyserth Castle today Dyserth Castle, from a postcard posted in 1917 Artist's impression of Dyserth Castle Plan of Dyserth Castle from John Northall

Dyserth Castle Plan, with kind permission of John Northall,
which inspired the illustration below

An artist’s impression of Dyserth Castle by William Smutts, for Dyserth Environmental Group

From a postcard posted in 1917, courtesy Harry Thomas Collection

Graig Fawr, Gwelfor Parc, Castle Quarry, site of Dyserth Castle Gwelfor Parc and Castle Quarry, site of Dyserth Castle

Castle Quarry, where Dyserth Castle once stood

For more information about the castle see John Northall’s article

As it appears today